Dr. Daryl W. Lam
The University of Alabama
Department of Biological Sciences
500 Hackberry Lane, 410 Mary Harmon Bryant Hall
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0345, USA
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or email@example.com
Postdoctoral research fellow (2014 to present)
My scientific interests lie in the evolution of algae. Currently, my research is concentrated on green (Chlorophyta) and red (Rhodophyta) algae. In order to study character trait evolution, my work is focused on the reconstruction phylogenetic trees based on genomic DNA data.
I am a currently involved in the NSF funded Green Algae Tree of Life (GrAToL) project. My work is focused on the class Ulvophyceae, which includes marine, freshwater, and terrestrial species.
Previously, I was involved with the NSF funded Red Algal Tree of Life (RedToL) and was specifically interested in the evolution of freshwater red algae.
- Postdoctoral fellow, NSF Green Algal Tree of Life, laboratory of Dr. Juan M. Lopez-Bautista, University of Alabama, Department of Biological Sciences, 2014-current
- Group Facilitator and Individual Project Mentor, University of Maine’s Upward Bound Math/Science Program, 2014
- Postdoctoral fellow, NSF Red Algal Tree of Life, laboratory of Dr. Morgan L. Vis, Ohio University, Department of Environmental and Plant Biology, 2010-2013
- Graduate teaching assistant, University of Alabama, 2009-2010
- Graduate research fellow, Departments of Biological Sciences and Graduate Studies, University of Alabama, Fall semester 2006-2009
- Laboratory manager at DOW Agrosciences Fresno, CA USA, January 2006
- Internship at DOW Agrosciences Fresno, CA USA, 2005
- Graduate research assistant (half-time), California State University, Fresno, 2002-2005
- Graduate teaching assistant (half-time), Department of Biology, California State University Fresno, USA, 2002-2005
2010: Alumnus of the year California State University, Fresno, Department of Biology.
- Lam, D.W. & Lopez-Bautista, J.M. 2014. Epiphytic diversity of the Raleighvallen rainforest (Suriname, South American) based on environmental DNA sequences. Soc. Mex. Ficologia. No. 5 pp 36-55.
- Lam, D.W., García-Fernández, M.E., Aboal, M. & Vis, M.L. 2013. Polysiphonia subtilissima (Ceramiales, Rhodophyta) from freshwater habitats in North America and Europe is confirmed as conspecific with marine collections. Phycologia. 52:156-60.
- Lam, D.W., Entwisle, T.J., Eloranta P., Kwandrans J. & Vis M.L. 2012. Circumscription of species in the genus Sirodotia (Batrachospermales, Rhodophyta) based on molecular and morphological data. J. Phycol. 47:42-50.
- Rindi, F., Allali H.A., Lam, D.W. & Lopez-Bautista, J.M. 2010. An overview of the biodiversity and biogeography of terrestrial green algae. In Biodiversity Hotspots. Vittore Rescigno and Savario Maletta [Eds.] Nova Science Publishers, Inc. Hauppauge, NY 105-22 pp.
- Rindi, F., Lam, W. & Lopez-Bautista, J.M. 2009. Phylogenetic relationships and species circumscription in Trentepohlia and Printzina (Trentepohliales, Chlorophyta). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 52:329-39.
- Rindi, F., Lam, D.W. & Lopez-Bautista, J.M. 2008. Trentepohliales (Ulvophyceae, Chlorophyta) of Panama. Nova Hedwigia 87:421-44.
- Lam, D.W. & Zechman F.W. 2006. Phylogenetic analyses of the Bryopsidales (Ulvophyceae, Chlorophyta) based on RUBISCO large subunit gene sequences. Phycol. 42:669-78.